Technical Senior 177 Weight Saving Tips?

Adam

Community Legend ๐Ÿ†
โš™๏ธ Administrator โš™๏ธ
๐Ÿ Founding Member ๐Ÿ
๐Ÿ“Registered Member๐Ÿ“
Driver Joined
28/11/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
James 'Adam' Pell
Skill Level
Amateur
Class
Senior Rotax 177
Engine
Grice Racing Engines
Chassis
Tony Kart 401R
Team
J. A. Pell & Son Motorsport
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
Website
View
Will hopfully be back on the track in Rotax 177 next year, what are you guys doing to save a little weight?

Of course the obvious being loose weight ;). But any other tips to go with a lightweight battery?

Will hopfully be back on the track in Rotax 177 next year, what are you guys doing to save a little weight?

Of course the obvious being loose weight ;). But any other tips to go with a lightweight battery?

You can source lightweight floor pan and brackets :)

I know a few guys over here that go full out titanium hoops, nerfs, steering shaft, etc. then cut the excess plastic out of their side pods. Titanium is an expensive route to take, tho...

Reactions: Adam
I know a few guys over here that go full out titanium hoops, nerfs, steering shaft, etc. then cut the excess plastic out of their side pods. Titanium is an expensive route to take, tho...

Will have to look into that, thankyou! I can see making the kart lighter will also make my wallet lighter :LOL: :LOL:

No sticker kit can be worth a chunk of weight.
Lightweight wheels, drill out the insides of the sidepod bars, drill out the exhaust brackets etc
Drilling out the engine mount or machining it down can remove a good amount of weight from the engine side.

Another obvious one is to run without a 3rd bearing. I've seen titanium bolts and stuff too. A smaller fuel tank also takes a little weight off

No sticker kit can be worth a chunk of weight.
Lightweight wheels, drill out the insides of the sidepod bars, drill out the exhaust brackets etc
Drilling out the engine mount or machining it down can remove a good amount of weight from the engine side.

(y) (y)

Another obvious one is to run without a 3rd bearing. I've seen titanium bolts and stuff too. A smaller fuel tank also takes a little weight off

Any issues with loosing the 3rd bearing? I would assume more flex in the axel and chassis?

@Robert Thanks for returning and getting involved (y):)

Any issues with loosing the 3rd bearing? I would assume more flex in the axel and chassis?
I mean you aren't meant to run the 3rd bearing bolted in so it doesn't make much difference between it being there and not

I mean you aren't meant to run the 3rd bearing bolted in so it doesn't make much difference between it being there and not

We always did, but I'm going back about 12 years! I have so much to catch up on for 2020. Any information much appreciated :) (y)

Media Partners

(Selected at random)