Trophies Awarded
Name
Sam
Skill Level
Novice
YouTube
View
Hi All

I've contacted my local club to enquire about how best to get started and I've been referred to the Daniel Ricciardo Series, but I've done some research and it's not something I think would be good for a complete novice/spectator like me who just wants some initial track time.

In an ideal world I'd like to rent a kart at a local club to get as much track time as possible and speak to people there to get advice etc - I'd love to learn everything including the mechanics, maintenance etc (I plan on purchasing a chassis and building my own kart because I learn best by practical. I can do this at home and spend weekends at the track renting a kart).

Have I got this all wrong, is this even possible? Perhaps not all local clubs have their own karts you can pay to drive for a few hours?

Thanks,
Sam

Reactions: Adam
I have always heard good things about DRS tbh. I'm sure you can pop down to their shop/base and get some info from Andy Cox seems like a real down to earth fella.

However with the DRS kart you are pretty much restricted to running in their series I believe.

What's your local Kart club/track? And also what is a popular class there? Down south you'll find more Rotox and up north a bit you'll find more X30.

Always good to go with the popular choice at your local track. Then from there check out the local track shop, many allow you to rent a Rotax or X30 for the day.

I have always heard good things about DRS tbh. I'm sure you can pop down to their shop/base and get some info from Andy Cox seems like a real down to earth fella.

However with the DRS kart you are pretty much restricted to running in their series I believe.

What's your local Kart club/track? And also what is a popular class there? Down south you'll find more Rotox and up north a bit you'll find more X30.

Always good to go with the popular choice at your local track. Then from there check out the local track shop, many allow you to rent a Rotax or X30 for the day.
Hiya Adam,
Yeah I've been told I can give them a call to discuss further so I'll do that when the shop is back open.
My local track is Rissington, not sure yet what they use but I know DRS is a big thing for them.

Great stuff let us know how you get on! :)(y)

I finally spoke to Andy Cox today and can I just say what a legend that guy is, had enormous amount of time for me on the phone despite me being a complete novice and enquiring about lots of things.

Due to my complete lack of experience he recommended I get some track time at Club100 first, apparently they do occasional test days where I can arrive and drive one of their supplies karts, just need my own kit.

If I get on OK with that then we can go from there and maybe speak to Andy again about doing a starter course at DRS which they provide.

Looking forward to getting started!

EDIT: Just spoke to John @ Club100 and he actually advised just to get as much track time as possible, so I'll go to Daytona in Milton Keynes I think and go from there. The guys are really helpful and appreciate their honesty

Last edited:
I finally spoke to Andy Cox today and can I just say what a legend that guy is, had enormous amount of time for me on the phone despite me being a complete novice and enquiring about lots of things.

Due to my complete lack of experience he recommended I get some track time at Club100 first, apparently they do occasional test days where I can arrive and drive one of their supplies karts, just need my own kit.

If I get on OK with that then we can go from there and maybe speak to Andy again about doing a starter course at DRS which they provide.

Looking forward to getting started!

EDIT: Just spoke to John @ Club100 and he actually advised just to get as much track time as possible, so I'll go to Daytona in Milton Keynes I think and go from there. The guys are really helpful and appreciate their honesty
Sorry for the late reply!

That's great stuff fella, glad you found a suitable route and this place helped you out some what.

Keep us updated on your outings and progress. @RichardHolt is on here is you need any help regarding Daytona!

Hiya mate! I did Whilton Mill yesterday, first time ever karting - great fun and even just 30 mins out on track taught me a lot, mostly how much I need to improve! Came 16th out of 21 on the lap times which I'll take any day especially being the only first-timer on the day.

I severely underestimated how physical it would be and I'm currently aching all over lmao. Even just in the EVO3 karts, I think max speed is like 40mph? I can't imagine what the X30 and such karts do to your body at first!

Most importantly I loved it so looking at getting back on track ASAP (y)

Hiya mate! I did Whilton Mill yesterday, first time ever karting - great fun and even just 30 mins out on track taught me a lot, mostly how much I need to improve! Came 16th out of 21 on the lap times which I'll take any day especially being the only first-timer on the day.

I severely underestimated how physical it would be and I'm currently aching all over lmao. Even just in the EVO3 karts, I think max speed is like 40mph? I can't imagine what the X30 and such karts do to your body at first!

Most importantly I loved it so looking at getting back on track ASAP (y)
Fantastic news then fella! It's all about having fun. Don't worry too much about results. It's good to set goals to work towards, but always focus on having a good time.

Oh yeah, indeed very physical. Once you jump up to something like a Rotax or X30, rib protector is a must. And just in general keep fitness levels up where possible.

Media Partners

(Selected at random)