Trying to identify this part. Rotax fr125 pre evo

KartingForum.co.uk - Founded Late 2019
Join our Karting community and unlock all the benefits of being a Registered Member!
Register - FREE! - Login

PaddyM

KartingForum.co.uk
Founding Member
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
4/7/20
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
Patrick McQuade
Skill Level
Novice
Chassis
FA Kart
HI there,

Just doing basic maintenance on my rotax engine before I go out my first outing. Took the chain guard off to lubricate the chain and see this casing behind the small sprocket is cracked. Could someone identify this part for me please so I can source another.
While on the subject of engine maintenance, what spark plug are other rotax owners using ? I do not race mine, only used on practice days

Attachments

Reactions: Adam

Adam

Welcome to KartingForum.co.uk!
Administrator
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
28/11/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
James 'Adam' Pell
Skill Level
Experienced
Class
Senior Rotax 177
Chassis
Tony Kart 401R
Team
J. A. Pell & Son Motorsport
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
Website
View
HI there,

Just doing basic maintenance on my rotax engine before I go out my first outing. Took the chain guard off to lubricate the chain and see this casing behind the small sprocket is cracked. Could someone identify this part for me please so I can source another.
While on the subject of engine maintenance, what spark plug are other rotax owners using ? I do not race mine, only used on practice days

Clutch drum! (y) 😁

A quick search suggests that the new Evo and old Pre Evo style clutch drums are the same. However, please check with whoever you order with.

It might be a good idea to remove the drum and inspect the clutch etc. You can also buy a new style conversion kit complete, if indeed you want the new style clutch. If indeed that is a Pre Evo unit.

In regards to plugs, I have been recomended Denso. I believe alot of people run them as I see them quite alot. IW24 cold weather, IW27 average spring/summer weather, IW29 very hot summer weather.

PaddyM

KartingForum.co.uk
Founding Member
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
4/7/20
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
Patrick McQuade
Skill Level
Novice
Chassis
FA Kart
Top advice as usual Adam. I think I will take the drum off and inspect the clutch. If all good I may just source the drum so I can get out and maybe upgrade at a later date. Regarding inspection of the clutch, what am I looking for to tell if in good or bad condition ?

Reactions: Adam

Adam

Welcome to KartingForum.co.uk!
Administrator
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
28/11/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
James 'Adam' Pell
Skill Level
Experienced
Class
Senior Rotax 177
Chassis
Tony Kart 401R
Team
J. A. Pell & Son Motorsport
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
Website
View
Top advice as usual Adam. I think I will take the drum off and inspect the clutch. If all good I may just source the drum so I can get out and maybe upgrade at a later date. Regarding inspection of the clutch, what am I looking for to tell if in good or bad condition ?
It will all more than likely need a good clean before inspection. If it's the old style clutch then check the shoes for wear and make sure none of the springs or shoes have fractured. If it's the new style clutch then it's a one piece unit, check for cracks etc.

I'll be honest the best and easiest advice is from Derek here:

You'll also find the repair manual here (Page 127 is what you want):

Both are for the new style clutch but the same principles apply!

Old style clutch (Plus starter gear and drum):
Rotax-max-old-style-clutch-Go.jpg

New style:
new.jpg

Zip North sell old style shoes and a repair kit: