Too late to start?

• Grab 10% discount or free shipping at MK Racewear for KartingForum.co.uk members. See Trade Promotions!
Welcome Guest!

Join our friendly Karting community and unlock all the benefits of being a member - it's FREE!

Find out more about membership - HERE!

See you trackside...

MarshyXD

KartingForum.co.uk
Founding Member
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
18/12/20
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
Ryan
Skill Level
Novice
Class
Senior
Hi All,

I've read through a few posts from people in the same position as me on other forums but im still not convinced. My question is, am I too late to the party?

I'm 26 and live around the West-Midlands so my local track would be Hooton Park. I've only ever been karting on Stag-do's but I really enjoyed it and i've been playing karting simulators over the past few months too.

Is it possible to joint this hobby at my age with no prior experience and still have fun? Its alot of money to invest and then be left frustated..

Cheers,

Seanl

KartingForum.co.uk
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
13/11/20
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
Sean L
Skill Level
Novice
Young Driver
Jacob
Young Driver Class
Cadet
I'd say first step would be to go on a few practice days at your local outdoor track. You can hire pretty well set up karts, and see where you're truly at. Attend a few race days as a spectator and just ask advice of the teams, get lap times to see if yours are comparabe. You can enter a few events with a hire kart, but I'm not sure what level the other competitors would be at so a hire from one of the teams for half a day of practice would give you a better idea of where you're truly at. It won't be much fun at the back of the grid constantly, so do as much research as you possibly can. Short term may be more cost effective to hire, but if you've got the capacity to buy your own second hand for the class you wish to race, you could sell it on later and not lose too much. Just remember to research a ton before buying a second hand one too, and read the MSA Blue & Gold book especially for your class as it'll help prevent common pitfalls and buying a kart not eligible to race (ask me, I know!). Best bet as a first course of action is track time, and more track time!. Best of luck with whatever you decide. 👍

LE#99

KartingForum.co.uk
Founding Member
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
11/12/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
Lucas
Skill Level
Experienced
Class
X30 Senior
Chassis
MS Kart
Team
Jack Dex Racing
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
YouTube
View
Website
View
Hi All,

I've read through a few posts from people in the same position as me on other forums but im still not convinced. My question is, am I too late to the party?

I'm 26 and live around the West-Midlands so my local track would be Hooton Park. I've only ever been karting on Stag-do's but I really enjoyed it and i've been playing karting simulators over the past few months too.

Is it possible to joint this hobby at my age with no prior experience and still have fun? Its alot of money to invest and then be left frustated..

Cheers,
Short answer is no, age doesn’t matter if you’re out to have fun. As suggested do a corporate session or two and have a look at a race day then see what you want to do.

Adam

Need help? Just ask!
Administrator
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
28/11/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
J 'Adam' Pell
Skill Level
Amateur
Class
Senior Rotax 177
Chassis
Tony Kart 401R
Team
J. A. Pell & Son Motorsport
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
Website
View
I agree with both of the above!

If you want to get an have some fun, see where it takes...why not?

I was Karting at the age of 8 till about 15/16. Then had a big break, now back at 29! Hope to get some club races in this year and have some fun.

Pop down your local track and have a watch of some meetings are/or test days. Have a chat with people and see what class they are running.

We are planning to launch a "Start Karting" guide soon! :) (y)

Wolemid

KartingForum.co.uk
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
17/12/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Club 100

it’s the fastest and best rental kart series which also travels around the country. It’s the best way to find out if you like faster karts without a serious budget

kartyparty

KartingForum.co.uk
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
9/1/21
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
Gavin Marlow
Skill Level
Professional
Facebook
View
Website
View
It's never too late to start! You don't have to pay a fortune - there are plenty of rental companies and tracks to check out.

Trade Booth

(Randomly Selected)
Trade Promotions - View
Trade Membership - Learn More

2021 Media Partner

KartMania 2021
KartMania 2021 - Learn More

Drivers Online

Championship Standings

Threads
Registered Drivers
Latest Driver