Team
J. A. Pell & Son Motorsport
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
Website
View
Lithium batteries - What's your opinions?

It seems we are very restricted with the rules when it comes to lithium batteries. See the MSUK Gold Book here.

I have been trying to get a hold of a new lightweight Rotax battery for some months now, with all retailers being out of stock. Which comes to my points below on the current state of the rules and regulations on batteries, supplied by MSUK. Here below you'll see an email I sent to them over the weekend.

I just wanted to know what your thoughts are? I wonder what the response from MSUK will be? I'll keep you all in the loop.

UPDATE - Response from J.A.G Rotax and Rotax post #5 here.

Hi Guys!

I am after some advice and help if possible, it would be very much appreciated.

In the current 2021 Goldbook for Karting, page 44 section E2.4.7. Regarding the Rotax Max Senior class, it currently states the following:

"ONLY the ROTAX lithium iron phosphate battery RX7-12L or RX-12B may be used as an alternative to lead acid batteries."

Now the RX7-12L as you know is manufactured by Super B, of which we still can't use even though both batteries are identical other than a Rotax sticker and the price! My issue is that this RX7-12L & RX-12B battery is out of stock everywhere, I cannot buy one from any UK retailer at all and have been looking for months. Which is very frustrating as there are many well-known branded and identical batteries on the market, which can be bought but not used due to the current regulations. Not to mention much cheaper! For example Exide make a Lithium Ion 12V Battery of the correct spec, dimensions and size which weighs just 680 grams - which cost just ยฃ100 - affordable.

Many places are showing this RX7-12L battery as out of production. Super B also now do not list the non Rotax variant on their website either. So I assume this is the case!

Which now leaves us Rotax Max drivers (Other classes too) with no other options for a lithium lightweight battery? At some point will the rules be updated to cater for use of other lithium batteries or will the battery go back into production?

Any help much appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks

Last edited:
If it makes money for a governing body or company through monopoly, it won't change.... ๐Ÿ˜

• Sad
Reactions: Adam
If it makes money for a governing body or company through monopoly, it won't change.... ๐Ÿ˜
Yeahhh I gathered that! At the moment though, there is no legal lightweight battery you can buy. 2KG lighter for my big self is not to be sniffed at :ROFLMAO:

Dance Chunk GIF

Update:

MSUK asked me to email J.A.G Rotax. J.A.G Rotax has emailed Rotax directly in Austria!

Awaiting a reply....

Well we have an answer @Team13Karting !

So this hopefully means there is a new certified new lithium lightweight Rotax battery incoming ๐Ÿ˜

Dear Adam,

I have a reply from Rotax which states they are aware of the problem

and are working on it. They are aiming to supply a certified and tested

Lithium battery suitable for karting by the end of this year.

Kind regards

Jean (J.A.G.)

Reactions: Team13Karting
And this is how much it will cost...

• Haha
It'll be worth it Lee.....think light...feather light...ultra light! I want the Kart to be so light unless I am sitting in it, then it'll float away across the pits ;)

Less money on food, more money on lightweight parts. Win win.

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

We're still running with lead to make weight, even after a little Covid belly. I don't need one of those batteries..... Yet ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Haha
Ohhh look! Not showing up on the store yet though. And not in the 2023 Gold book?

NEW
Genuine Rotax Lithium Battery now in stock! Weighs less than 600g!!!
Limited numbers available so please contact us to order yours!

325445256_1210081343263416_4965873915575612337_n.jpg

Now available it seems. Not knocking KPUK at all as they don't set the RRP. But how can Rotax justify ยฃ234 for a battery?

Media Partners

(Selected at random)