Driver Number
Team Name
Team Thirteen Karting
Facebook
@TeamThirteenKarting
Instagram
@teamthirteenkarting
Sponsorship Request
  1. I'm looking for sponsorship, please contact me!
Photography By
Jessica Maund / Busy Bee Photography
70C1DAD1-DADF-45A7-AFAD-2C89B03F3275.jpeg

Driver Name
Lee Maund

Number

Team Name
Team Thirteen Karting

Team Facebook
Team 13 Karting

Driver/Team Instagram
Team 13 Karting

Photographer
Busy Bee Photography

My Career

My motor racing career began back in 1987, with the purchase of my first kart at the tender age of 8. Competing successfully against modern day luminaries such as Jenson Button, Daniel Wheldon, Gary Paffett and Anthony Davidson I was crowned Welsh Driver of the Year three years running, as well as finishing on the podium at the Little Rissington club championship, at that time considered to be the most competitive club championships in the UK. A lack of funds led to the hard decision to concentrate on my career.

I returned to the motor racing environment in 2010, when a chance meeting with a member of the RAFMSA resulted in me captaining a team to the RAFMSA Speed Challenge Team Championship in a VW Sirocco. The following year I then took further honours, piloting my privately owned Honda Civic Type R to Interservice honours in the Individual Speed Challenge Championship against far more powerful opposition.

I then formed an Endurance Karting team at the my military unit. From its inception in 2012, I led the team, stationed at the smallest operational base in the UK, to an Armed Forces Championship win in only its second full season against the fully funded Army and Navy representative teams as well as dozens of individual RAF stations. After a relocation to Swindon during my first two years as an individual competitor in the Premier Karting Class (Essentially a military Senior Libre class), I won the Rookie Championship as well as several race wins against National standard opposition. We also recently pulled off a class win in the SWKC IKR meeting.

None of the accomplishments above would have been possible without the input of Steve Maund, former British Kart team member and current team mechanic, whose 40 year tenure in motorsport means that there is no-one on the grid with his level of mechanicing and setup experience. We compete under the โ€œTeam Thirteenโ€ banner, in celebration of Steve's race number that he used when competing.

The Kart

I have recently sold the โ€œTeam Thirteenโ€ Global Drone Surveys/Bearmach branded Kosmic Chassis in the Senior Rotax class and will be moving to a new chassis in 2020. Our motors are built by P1, giving significant waft...

Pop over and check out my Instagram or Facebook pages and give me a follow. Drop me a DM if youโ€™d like to offer us support for next season!

1E9D4B59-5E29-43EF-9603-51D09A29ACE4.jpeg

Fantastic post Lee / @Team13Karting , thanks for using our Driver Promotions service and stick around the forum! A very interesting motorsport career you have there indeed, once you get the bug it's very hard to fully give up the passion.

Much respect and thanks to yourself and colleagues for your military services. (y)

Congrats on being the 3rd and final winner of our giveaway here. I'll get you posted up on our socials later this evening ๐Ÿ (y)

Seen ๐Ÿ˜ Thanks very much ๐Ÿ‘

Well, it's been a quiet few months thanks to lockdown and the series I normally participate in was cancelled this year. That being said, we've been able to get out over the past few weeks for a few testing sessions for the little one, and the 2nd Round of the South Wales IKR at Llandow a fortnight ago. Some rustiness on my part, a gremline we sortedd and the fact that we didn't have much dry running meant we had a mixed day, although we were putting in a performance in the pre-final that had us hanging off the back of guys who are up the sharp end of the NKC, so we can't complain. Looking forwards to getting back out there.

In terms of the Compkart, we're learning more about it as we go, and will be doing our customary "try things to see what they do" at the next testing day. The braking system is awesome though, and I'm already feeling more confident on it in all conditions after a few full days than I've ever felt on my OTK variants.

A bit of footage from the IKR, both me and the little one getting stuck in....

Reactions: Adam
Great stuff, love the video!

Your little lad looks like he done brilliant in the wet, great to watch. Keep up the good work there kid :giggle: ๐Ÿ (y)

You're looking very confident on the brakes in "The Fluro" indeed, and in a mixed bag of conditons too it seems. Can you pin point why you have a better experience in the Comp over the OTK? Or just all round suits your style of driving more?

We're quite fortunate with Harri as he seems to be able to find the limit in the conditions, although it took him a while on that weekend. We've got to the point now as well where he's relatively consistent, so we can make changes to the chassis to try and get him going quicker. There's not much you can do to the C50 engine unfortunately, which probably explains why they go for silly money...

The Freeline system on the Compkart is light years ahead of the OTK, although to be honest I've never had an issue with the OTK one (A lot of people seem to have trouble with it...). The one thing I've noticed about the Compkart is that it's far more receptive to changes in setup than the OTK. When you change something you can definitely feel it - it's easier to tune the grip in and out, whereas I found the OTK a little bit less receptive to changes at times.

As you say as well, it suits my driving style more and I'm already getting to grips and hanging off the back of the lead group at Llandow, despite being out of the seat for a looooooong time :) Hopefully more track time next weekend, which will allow us to try a few other things to see what they do....

We're quite fortunate with Harri as he seems to be able to find the limit in the conditions, although it took him a while on that weekend. We've got to the point now as well where he's relatively consistent, so we can make changes to the chassis to try and get him going quicker. There's not much you can do to the C50 engine unfortunately, which probably explains why they go for silly money...

The Freeline system on the Compkart is light years ahead of the OTK, although to be honest I've never had an issue with the OTK one (A lot of people seem to have trouble with it...). The one thing I've noticed about the Compkart is that it's far more receptive to changes in setup than the OTK. When you change something you can definitely feel it - it's easier to tune the grip in and out, whereas I found the OTK a little bit less receptive to changes at times.

As you say as well, it suits my driving style more and I'm already getting to grips and hanging off the back of the lead group at Llandow, despite being out of the seat for a looooooong time :) Hopefully more track time next weekend, which will allow us to try a few other things to see what they do....

Great progress! I always find the Bambino and Cadet classes a joy to watch. You can't knock 'em, always great determination with the element of 'no fear'. At that age they pick things up so fast!

Great to hear you're finding your feet in the Comp'! Keep the updates, pictures and videos coming (y) :)

Reminds me; could you give your lovely Mrs a little nudge, to get some content up in her Trade Section if possible please? If she has indeed been out taking some snaps ๐Ÿ“ธ

Well it's been a fair few months since our last update. There have been postings, exams, job changings, house moves and all sorts. And if there wasn't that, then there was COVID and then racing when we were able and allowed to.

We've been getting more to grips with the Compkart, with some tests at the start of the year allowing us to try stuff. We tend to go down the route less travelled, and try stuff that's different from what's suggested. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....

2020 was a bit of a quiet year, but we were able to get a few meetings at Llandow in, resulting in Harri getting a 4th place in the Championship and me coming away with the top pot. We're under no illusion that mine was due to the shortened season though...

The start of this year has been pretty decent as well. We came home with a 2nd place trophy from the first round of the SWKC IKR, although the CC Plate didn't go as well as expected. Harri has picked up a few race wins in Bambino, with a combination of confidence, setup and experience giving him PBs almost every meeting. The Armed Forces Karting Champs 1st Round went rather well, with us coming home with a very nice trophy. We're going to be competing in that until the end of the season, along with the SWKC IKR before Harri moves up to Cadets next year.
WeekendPhoto.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Keys and Adam

Media Partners

(Selected at random)

Latest Trade Promotions