📝Registered Member📝
Driver Joined
7/1/22
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
Alec Brown
Hi,

Looking for a bit of help at starting my 7 y/o son at bambino’s. Been involved in other motorsports for years but Total novice in the karting world, looking for hints and tips and generally any advice on what to buy? We are based in Scotland. Can’t seem to find any dates for the Scottish championship rounds yet?

Is it best to buy a brand new kart or second hand?

How do we go about getting him his competition licence?

What kit does he need?

Reading that the bambino’s need to use comer engines? Does the engine have to be sealed if I was buying one?

Is it a level playing field for the full grid?

Currently Sorting a date at park hall for him to get a shot on a kart;

Appreciate any reply’s

Thanks

Reactions: Adam
Welcome to the forum Alec!

Check out our classifieds, you'll find a Bambino pop up from time to time.

@Team13Karting is your best bet on here for Bambino info. But I'll try and help you out!

Just bear in mind at 8 years of age he can jump into a Honda Cadet. So it may be worth skipping Bambino and doing a years testing in the Cadet and dip your toes into some racing when he is of age. Or you'll be learning Bambino for a year or less and then have to sell up and go Cadet!

You'll find various shops sell both new and used. Or you can go the private route. I really like Lee and the team at NextKarting and they'll ship to you. A good 2nd hand Kart will do you well.

To get going I believe even in Bambino you need to get your MSUK license and do your ARKS test. Full details here. You need to get a starter pack. But however research if there is anything Bambino specific.

Kit you'll need a certified helmet, gloves, boots, suit and wetsuit. Highly recommended two would be a rib protector and neck brace. I would highly recommend @MK Racewear ! You can also get 10% off.

Comer C50 for the Bambinos and Honda GX160's for the Honda Cadet I believe. Both need to be sealed. Check out various engine builders for each. Such as but not limited too @VenomRaceEngines @RPM Racing Engines LTD

I have no dealing with Bambino or Cadet so tried my best, but I could be wrong on a few things!

Welcome to the forum Alec!

Check out our classifieds, you'll find a Bambino pop up from time to time.

@Team13Karting is your best bet on here for Bambino info. But I'll try and help you out!

Just bear in mind at 8 years of age he can jump into a Honda Cadet. So it may be worth skipping Bambino and doing a years testing in the Cadet and dip your toes into some racing when he is of age. Or you'll be learning Bambino for a year or less and then have to sell up and go Cadet!

You'll find various shops sell both new and used. Or you can go the private route. I really like Lee and the team at NextKarting and they'll ship to you. A good 2nd hand Kart will do you well.

To get going I believe even in Bambino you need to get your MSUK license and do your ARKS test. Full details here. You need to get a starter pack. But however research if there is anything Bambino specific.

Kit you'll need a certified helmet, gloves, boots, suit and wetsuit. Highly recommended two would be a rib protector and neck brace. I would highly recommend @MK Racewear ! You can also get 10% off.

Comer C50 for the Bambinos and Honda GX160's for the Honda Cadet I believe. Both need to be sealed. Check out various engine builders for each. Such as but not limited too @VenomRaceEngines @RPM Racing Engines LTD

I have no dealing with Bambino or Cadet so tried my best, but I could be wrong on a few things!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply with such good and informative info. And I think the idea of missing out the bambino is a really sensible one. I have taken on board everything you’ve said and appreciate all the hints and tips.

Thanks
Alec

No worries Alec, you're very welcome! That's what this place is all about.

If you went down the Honda Cadet route then you can test until your boy is 8, then go racing. But you'll learn so much testing. However be sure to double check your local kart clubs as to what classes for that age are the most popular. No point buying a kart which isn't run at many places.

After being out the seat for years we done around 6 months testing, then just completed our first season racing. Learned something new every day out! And I'm sure this year will be the same.

Hi,

Looking for a bit of help at starting my 7 y/o son at bambino’s. Been involved in other motorsports for years but Total novice in the karting world, looking for hints and tips and generally any advice on what to buy? We are based in Scotland. Can’t seem to find any dates for the Scottish championship rounds yet?

Is it best to buy a brand new kart or second hand?

How do we go about getting him his competition licence?

What kit does he need?

Reading that the bambino’s need to use comer engines? Does the engine have to be sealed if I was buying one?

Is it a level playing field for the full grid?

Currently Sorting a date at park hall for him to get a shot on a kart;

Appreciate any reply’s

Thanks
Apologies for being late to the party with this one, it's been a busy couple of weeks!

If you were to ask my honest advice, at 7 years old I'd give Bambino a miss entirely and look to get a half decent Cadet outfit to test on until he's old enough. I think the Bambino class is going to go through a very rocky patch over the next few years. The Comer C50 engine has been discontinued, to be replaced by a C52. The regulations have changed and MSUK (the governing body) are looking to take Bambino fully electric from 2023. If it doesn't kill the class off entirely, it's not going to be in particularly rude health for a few years... As your lad is 7, you'll want to stay out of the way of all that!

If your lad is new to the sport, second hand every time. He's going to crash it, he's going to bend things and you may as well put hours on an already used engine than a new one. It'll also mean that most of the depreciation has gone out of the outfit. If he doesn't take to it, then you've lost less money. If you see an outfit that you like, pop a link on here and we'll give you a shove in the right direction.

You'll also need to decide whether you want to go MSUK (Official Governing Body) racing or IKR (Independent Kart Racing). Each has their own pros and cons, and differing grid sizes depending on where you're going to race. The benefit to IKR is no competition license, and the several administrative hoops that MSUK will get you jumping through to get him one, and you as a guardian as well.....

Safety kit is pretty much the same for both. Helmet to SNELL CMR standard, gloves, boots, suit. For Cadets I'd also look at a rib protector and neck brace, especially as he won't have raced one before.

We're about to move up into Cadets, so we'll let you know if you see anything decent in your neck of the woods....

Media Partners

(Selected at random)