Welcome to KartingForum.co.uk
Join our new Karting community and unlock all the benefits of being a registered member, it takes 2 minutes & it's FREE! See you trackside...

Find out more about membership HERE!

Adam

Need help? Just ask!
Administrator
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
28/11/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
J 'Adam' Pell
Skill Level
Amateur
Class
Senior Rotax 177
Chassis
Tony Kart 401R
Team
J. A. Pell & Son Motorsport
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
Website
View
Hi Guys, some advice needed if possible please.

I currently have a Rotax Senior Evo and running at Rotax GR8DI-8 spark plug. Engine is new and has just been run in.

I seem to be getting random issues of black screens and interference with my MyChron 5. A quick google sent me here...

Which states:

Question: MyChron5 display is darkened, turns upside down, shows black lines and rolling numbers, turns off. What’s going on? (which is exactly my issues, randomly)

Answer: The problem is related to the sparkplug in use. These MyChron5 unexpected behaviours mostly happens when the engine is revving at high RPMs. LEDs, logged data, lap time trigger and all the other functions keep working fine.Sparkplugs without noise suppressor will generate an electromagnetic interference which affects the display, causing the issues listed above. The interference can affect electronic devices in general; this is the reason why sparkplug manufacturers produce "Resistive sparkplugs", that are recommended when electronic components are installed on the vehicle.

The solution is the use of Resistive sparkplugs, that can be recognized from an "R" in their part number, as for the examples below:

Resistive spark plugs •NGK BR10EG•Brisk LR09S•Bosch WR07CS
Non resistive spark plugs •NGK B10EG•Brisk L09S•Bosch W07CS
Anybody else had this issue running a Rotax GR8DI-8 spark plug?

Also I see you can use a GR9DI-8? Is that the hotter or colder plug?

Adam

Need help? Just ask!
Administrator
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
28/11/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
J 'Adam' Pell
Skill Level
Amateur
Class
Senior Rotax 177
Chassis
Tony Kart 401R
Team
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
Website
View
Reactions: Team13Karting

Team13Karting

KartingForum.co.uk
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
13/12/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Class
Senior Rotax
Team
Team 13 Karting
I'll be honest, we've never had that issue with our Mychron, no matter what spark plug we've run in it. Is it a genuine plug? There are a few Chinese copies out there on Ebay and the like. Although from memory the GR8 plug is used in Mini and Micro Max rather than Senior?

Reactions: Adam

Adam

Need help? Just ask!
Administrator
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
28/11/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
J 'Adam' Pell
Skill Level
Amateur
Class
Senior Rotax 177
Chassis
Tony Kart 401R
Team
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
Website
View
I'll be honest, we've never had that issue with our Mychron, no matter what spark plug we've run in it. Is it a genuine plug? There are a few Chinese copies out there on Ebay and the like. Although from memory the GR8 plug is used in Mini and Micro Max rather than Senior?
Thanks for the reply mate! Hmm I thought as much. From where it come from I would guarantee it's a genuine plug, came installed in the engine when I picked it up.

I have adjusted how the sensor wire is coiled round as per MyChron instructions, now bunched up as shown. It was a series of about 4 wide loops spanning about 5 inches down the lead before. Not sure if that makes any difference at all!?

I did 'run in' on the current plug, allough it has been cleaned. Maybe the plug is fouled regardless?

Worth trying the Denso Iridium plugs? IW24 cold weather, IW27 average weather, IW29 very hot summer weather. IW31 if the tarmac is melting?

20200708_225207.jpg

Team13Karting

KartingForum.co.uk
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
13/12/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Class
Senior Rotax
Team
Team 13 Karting
We've always run with the Denso Iridium. I've found them to be more reliable.

Plugs can be one of those things that can cause all sorts of problems. I'd change it out for a fresh one, but as I've said above, I'm pretty sure the 8 is for Mini and Micro rather than Senior and would only be use in Senior when it was really cold.

Adam

Need help? Just ask!
Administrator
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
28/11/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
J 'Adam' Pell
Skill Level
Amateur
Class
Senior Rotax 177
Chassis
Tony Kart 401R
Team
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
Website
View
We've always run with the Denso Iridium. I've found them to be more reliable.

Plugs can be one of those things that can cause all sorts of problems. I'd change it out for a fresh one, but as I've said above, I'm pretty sure the 8 is for Mini and Micro rather than Senior and would only be use in Senior when it was really cold.
Indeed, I was going to change it regardless after running in tbh. You might indeed be right about the plug choice. Maybe it's suppplied just to run in with?

A new plug it is then! I would assume the IW27 is the go to plug in general for average spring/summer running?

Team13Karting

KartingForum.co.uk
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
13/12/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Class
Senior Rotax
Team
Team 13 Karting
IW27 generally until it gets cold then you’re looking at a IW24. Go the other way if it gets hotter 😂

Reactions: Adam

Adam

Need help? Just ask!
Administrator
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
28/11/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
J 'Adam' Pell
Skill Level
Amateur
Class
Senior Rotax 177
Chassis
Tony Kart 401R
Team
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
Website
View
IW27 generally until it gets cold then you’re looking at a IW24. Go the other way if it gets hotter 😂
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated! I was working 2 minutes from Dartford the other day, popped in and got 2 IW27's and a IW29 (On the positive assumption heatwave is inbound? lol).

😁 (y)

Adam

Need help? Just ask!
Administrator
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
28/11/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
J 'Adam' Pell
Skill Level
Amateur
Class
Senior Rotax 177
Chassis
Tony Kart 401R
Team
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
Website
View
Little update! I went to a test day at Bayford on Saturday and it seems the issue is now solved!

The adjustments made were re wrapping the rpm cable as per picture below. And I changed to a Denso Iridium IW27 spark plug. So I would assume either one of those changed did indeed fix my MyChron 5 screen flickering/nterference and going screen going blank.

Happy days! Thanks for the help 😁 (y)

20200708_225207.jpg