📝Registered Member📝
Driver Joined
29/7/22
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
Oliver webb
Hi, I’m oli.
My son (19) and myself (45) have been going rental karting frequently for almost a year now, we also Tested at club 100. But we would like to purchase a kart, but which one?
I’ve been in contact with ABKC and I’ve a few local clubs. Whilton mill, shennington and kimbolton. So I going to whilton mill on the 10th August to have a look at a test day.
The karts I’m interested in are the rotax senior and the tkm class.
But I’m new, so I don’t know much, so help and guidance would be great.
Thanks

Reactions: Adam
Welcome to the forum! :)

You'll be in the Senior classes and then depending on your weight standard or heavy class. For example Rotax will have 162kg and 177kg most places.

You'll have the choice of Rotax, X30 or TKM I believe at those tracks. Find out what is the most popular where you want to run. Cost wise you'll find pretty much the same across the board.

@LE#99 races at all of the above tracks I believe, he might be able to enlighten you more.

NextKarting is a great place to purchase a second hand Kart. Talk to Lee! You'll also find various examples at local trackside shops etc.

Welcome to the forum! :)

You'll be in the Senior classes and then depending on your weight standard or heavy class. For example Rotax will have 162kg and 177kg most places.

You'll have the choice of Rotax, X30 or TKM I believe at those tracks. Find out what is the most popular where you want to run. Cost wise you'll find pretty much the same across the board.

@LE#99 races at all of the above tracks I believe, he might be able to enlighten you more.

NextKarting is a great place to purchase a second hand Kart. Talk to Lee! You'll also find various examples at local trackside shops etc.

Hi and thanks for the advice. I’m going over whilton mill on Wednesday on a practice day to ask a few owners some question’s.
But I’m thinking I might go for the rotax as I’ve heard they’re the most reliable??

TKM don't run at whikton but rotax and iame x30 do.
TKM will be the cheapest class to run in but check where you want to race to make sure there is a grid.

HKRC, Kimbolton have a good TKM grid and SKRC Shenington do as well I think.

Rotax, big grids at the moment at most tracks.

If you're there next Wednesday find the JDR guys (jack dex or jamie) and they will give you some straight answers

Any questions just ask.

Thanks for the reply.
What makes the tkm category cheaper run, is it just parts?

Thanks for the reply.
What makes the tkm category cheaper run, is it just parts?
Engine costs, not sure on tyre costs or regulations (as in how many sets you can use) but it's the budget senior class that's in the mainstream. Close racing as well.

The budget class, would that be the tkm clubman category?

The budget class, would that be the tkm clubman category?
Yes, that is the (from my limited knowledge of TKM) the cheapest form of racing in the class but there is also TKM Extreme (senior 'normal' TKM class I think).

Media Partners

(Selected at random)