Trophies Awarded
Name
Willy Williams
Skill Level
Novice
Facebook
View
Hi to all,

I've just joined the forum so thought I'd introduce myself, my name is Willy and I live in Shropshire, I'm completely green when it come to all things karting but Ive had an itch that I needed to scratch for a couple of reasons firstly my young son loves things mechanical so I thought this may be something he and I could enjoy together as he grows up and secondly Ive always enjoyed the odd visit to the kart track So why not.

So, knowing absolutely nothing and armed with no knowledge whatsoever I thought it would be a great idea to buy a kart, wow there are so many types and variants where do I start? I know, don't do any research, and just get one bought completely blind, so I did, at what I considered to be a reasonable price and later that week the said Kart and many spares were at home in my garage, my new kart has not been run for many many years.

I think I'm quite mechanically minded and as both engines would not start and showed no sign of wanting to, I set about trying to breathe life out of them, carbs cleaned and compression test complete, new air filters, oil checked both engines are now running.

Next task brakes, so I have removed and cleaned the calliper, cleaned the brake disk and not I just need to replace the fluid and bleed.

So wondered if I could perhaps ask some advice from the forum please:

I'm not at thin as I used to be but when I sit in the kart I feel lucky to just get in it, man its tight, with the fuel tank my legs are bent to get into the pedals, and I feel way to close to the steering wheel and the seat just feels tight, so is there anything I can do to make things a bit more comfy please? If this is standard my karting days may be over?

I have a track close to me, Rednal in Shropshire, getting it there is something I have to figure out still, but do I need anything formal to go to a track, insurance etc and can I just go having never run this kart or shared a track with people who know what they are doing, has anyone on the forum been here?

Was this kart by luck a sensible buy for a complete rookie, or should I reconside?

I have attached a couple of pictures of the kart, hope they upload ok.

Many thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Regards

Willy..............

Attachments

• C834CB6F-4FF4-49D2-B8ED-67BCBB954895.jpeg
    C834CB6F-4FF4-49D2-B8ED-67BCBB954895.jpeg
    480.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 48B0BA0C-CF98-4AFF-87DF-07EB374B5B2F.jpeg
    48B0BA0C-CF98-4AFF-87DF-07EB374B5B2F.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 90
  • D1AA4731-371A-49FA-8810-7CDB2C430469.jpeg
    D1AA4731-371A-49FA-8810-7CDB2C430469.jpeg
    625 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: Adam
Good evening Willy,

Welcome to the world of karting, my son and I got into this amazing sport about 9 months ago for very similar reasons to yourself, father passing mechanical knowledge to son in a fun environment.
we have been completely sucked into it and he now does racing at a reasonably high level.

I, like you, bought a whole load of kit blind and uneducated, which served its initial purpose but is now surplus to requirements.

I am also less slim than I used to be, buying an XL seat helped but hen the seat mounting arms were too narrow, a little heat and a lump hammer helped here, your seat can be moved back or the pedals forward to accommodate leg length.

is your son a similar height to you ? and what age? if you both intend to drive the kart you may need him to use a seat insert in the XL seat.

Your choice of 4 stroke engines should give you plenty of longevity as they are really tough.

We bought a trailer at first to get to the tracks, now we have evolved into a kitted out van with everything karting in it. you can guarantee the one thing you have left a home is the item you will need.
Most people at tracks are happy to help you

Hi to all,

I've just joined the forum so thought I'd introduce myself, my name is Willy and I live in Shropshire, I'm completely green when it come to all things karting but Ive had an itch that I needed to scratch for a couple of reasons firstly my young son loves things mechanical so I thought this may be something he and I could enjoy together as he grows up and secondly Ive always enjoyed the odd visit to the kart track So why not.

So, knowing absolutely nothing and armed with no knowledge whatsoever I thought it would be a great idea to buy a kart, wow there are so many types and variants where do I start? I know, don't do any research, and just get one bought completely blind, so I did, at what I considered to be a reasonable price and later that week the said Kart and many spares were at home in my garage, my new kart has not been run for many many years.

I think I'm quite mechanically minded and as both engines would not start and showed no sign of wanting to, I set about trying to breathe life out of them, carbs cleaned and compression test complete, new air filters, oil checked both engines are now running.

Next task brakes, so I have removed and cleaned the calliper, cleaned the brake disk and not I just need to replace the fluid and bleed.

So wondered if I could perhaps ask some advice from the forum please:

I'm not at thin as I used to be but when I sit in the kart I feel lucky to just get in it, man its tight, with the fuel tank my legs are bent to get into the pedals, and I feel way to close to the steering wheel and the seat just feels tight, so is there anything I can do to make things a bit more comfy please? If this is standard my karting days may be over?

I have a track close to me, Rednal in Shropshire, getting it there is something I have to figure out still, but do I need anything formal to go to a track, insurance etc and can I just go having never run this kart or shared a track with people who know what they are doing, has anyone on the forum been here?

Was this kart by luck a sensible buy for a complete rookie, or should I reconside?

I have attached a couple of pictures of the kart, hope they upload ok.

Many thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Regards

Willy..............
There’s lots of little adjustments you could
Make to make the seating position better for you, pedal adjustment to help the longer legged. Generally there’s adjustment on the engine mounts to enable them to come out more to enable you to get the seat back! Does the seat fit you firstly? I race prokarts at Hooton park in the Indikart championship, it takes a lot of fiddling to get the seat right and be comfortable. The next round at Hooton is a week on Sunday and worth a trip just to gain a bit of knowledge, the lads are great and will help anyone out. I’m based in Malpas. If you need any help don’t hesitate to ask! Andy
This is me 👍🏁

Attachments

• 501AB302-E010-450A-B51F-CC462CBEDCA8.jpeg
    501AB302-E010-450A-B51F-CC462CBEDCA8.jpeg
    522.1 KB · Views: 76
Another thing you can do is shorten the chains to bring the engines further back to give you more seat movement!

Good evening Willy,

Welcome to the world of karting, my son and I got into this amazing sport about 9 months ago for very similar reasons to yourself, father passing mechanical knowledge to son in a fun environment.
we have been completely sucked into it and he now does racing at a reasonably high level.

I, like you, bought a whole load of kit blind and uneducated, which served its initial purpose but is now surplus to requirements.

I am also less slim than I used to be, buying an XL seat helped but hen the seat mounting arms were too narrow, a little heat and a lump hammer helped here, your seat can be moved back or the pedals forward to accommodate leg length.

is your son a similar height to you ? and what age? if you both intend to drive the kart you may need him to use a seat insert in the XL seat.

Your choice of 4 stroke engines should give you plenty of longevity as they are really tough.

We bought a trailer at first to get to the tracks, now we have evolved into a kitted out van with everything karting in it. you can guarantee the one thing you have left a home is the item you will need.
Most people at tracks are happy to help you
Hi Mark

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and thanks for the welcome, buying blind I was maybe starting to think in hindsight if I could actually use what I had bought, I did not want to spend thousands cutting my teeth as it were, however I thought it prudent maybe to get a taste before I did.

Thanks for your advice and I’ll look at my current seat and maybe buy a larger one think I will also look at the mounts as I did some research and I do think my seat can be moved back.

My son is only 3 but he’s been helping me getting these engines running and is interested so I’m just hoping we can start this together, not sure how old he will have to be to get in one on his own.

Thanks for your advice and I’m looking for a trailer now.

There’s lots of little adjustments you could
Make to make the seating position better for you, pedal adjustment to help the longer legged. Generally there’s adjustment on the engine mounts to enable them to come out more to enable you to get the seat back! Does the seat fit you firstly? I race prokarts at Hooton park in the Indikart championship, it takes a lot of fiddling to get the seat right and be comfortable. The next round at Hooton is a week on Sunday and worth a trip just to gain a bit of knowledge, the lads are great and will help anyone out. I’m based in Malpas. If you need any help don’t hesitate to ask! Andy
This is me 👍🏁
Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your reply it’s appreciate, I don’t actually think my seat fits me to be honest and I feel the first step maybe to get a seat that does.

Unfortunately I am away this weekend but would be interested in knowing if there is anything else we could come to in order to get some experience, if you are ever passing St Martins let me know you are more than welcome to pop in for a cuppa and I can bombard you with questions.

Thanks for your reply.
Willy…

Hi Mark

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and thanks for the welcome, buying blind I was maybe starting to think in hindsight if I could actually use what I had bought, I did not want to spend thousands cutting my teeth as it were, however I thought it prudent maybe to get a taste before I did.

Thanks for your advice and I’ll look at my current seat and maybe buy a larger one think I will also look at the mounts as I did some research and I do think my seat can be moved back.

My son is only 3 but he’s been helping me getting these engines running and is interested so I’m just hoping we can start this together, not sure how old he will have to be to get in one on his own.

Thanks for your advice and I’m looking for a trailer now.
hi again you are welcome, my nephew is 3 also and loves helping us all in the garage already, once they reach their 4th birthday the youngsters can get started in karts. i sooo wish that existed when I was 4. Have a chat with your local clubs, if any problems just message me on here, we work with Ken Reeves Motorsport and have 4/5/6 year olds out on track every week.
Good Luck

My lads 6 and I get him out in a bambino for test days! There’s races he can go in but he’s not quite ready yet! As I said the Indikart meeting at Ellesmere Port would be a great place to go for a nose and quiz the lads who will happily give you and help required. They are a great bunch of lads and would give you anything they h e in the toolbox to get you on track rather than other classes who would not help so there’s one less to compete against! If I can help just ask

My lads 6 and I get him out in a bambino for test days! There’s races he can go in but he’s not quite ready yet! As I said the Indikart meeting at Ellesmere Port would be a great place to go for a nose and quiz the lads who will happily give you and help required. They are a great bunch of lads and would give you anything they h e in the toolbox to get you on track rather than other classes who would not help so there’s one less to compete against! If I can help just ask
Andy if you are ever passing St Martins let me know please you’d be welcome for a cuppa and a look at this kart

Regards
Willy.

Hi all,

Me again with the newbie questions but I'm hoping someone could perhaps help me with the ongoing dilemma of my kart seat, as way of a quick update myself and my young son have been tinkering in our garage and have now got the engines running well, this weekends jobs on the to do list are an oil change and then we were going to bleed the brakes if time permits and do a tyre change however I bought some new tyres and have noticed they are a different size to those currently fitted, another rookie error it would seem.

As for the seat I either need to loose a ton of weight or it needs to be addressed for a more rotund frame, I measured from the steering wheel to the back of the seat and as per the pictures there is 15 inches between them, is this a normal distance then the height of the bottom of the steering wheel to the floor is approx 13 inches, again is this the norm, I have just took delivery of a larger seat which is comfortable when watching re runs of Emmerdale in my lounge, just don't see how I'm going to get the seat into this space, pictures are of the original seat?

The engines are as far back as they will go so I'm wondering if the seat support/ stays are too upright(pic below) and I they perhaps need to be more angled to the rear of the kart, can you buy different shape seat supports?

Any help will be gratefully received.

Regards
Willy.....

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_9550.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9550.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 58
  • thumbnail_IMG_9551.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9551.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 59
  • thumbnail_IMG_9552.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9552.jpg