📝Registered Member📝
Driver Joined
22/1/24
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
Tom
hi

im looking to get into owner karting but im a bit clueless i live in west london. ive probbably got a budget of about 2000£ for a first season and have limited mechanical knowhow but im willing to learn! and advice for what kart/series to buy and options for transport. im 17 soon and planning to get a driving licence this summer but dont rlly have any plans to get a trailer/van so could i store/maintain my kart at a track. or are there any teams that i could work with (willing to extend budget a bit with this)

thanks

Working on the budget you have I'd guess that it's best for you to look into endurance 4 stroke racing. Look at BPEC and look to join a team, that way the kart will be maintained and you just pay your share of entry costs etc.

Owner driver will cost in excess of your budget I think. You may be able to find an older chassis and engine for the 2k but you'll struggle to be competitive and that before you have to pay for race entry costs, petrol, tyres etc......Also depends how often you want to race, but from your budget I'd say prokart endurance is the way forward

Working on the budget you have I'd guess that it's best for you to look into endurance 4 stroke racing. Look at BPEC and look to join a team, that way the kart will be maintained and you just pay your share of entry costs etc.

Owner driver will cost in excess of your budget I think. You may be able to find an older chassis and engine for the 2k but you'll struggle to be competitive and that before you have to pay for race entry costs, petrol, tyres etc......Also depends how often you want to race, but from your budget I'd say prokart endurance is the way forward
i mean how much more money would i need to budget to have flexibility?

For low budget racing you should look at gx-uk. It’s a series aimed at getting people into owner driver racing without the huge expenses. 2k budget isn’t really enough for anything other than buying a driver in a prokart team, and even then I think it’ll be pushing it.

Speak to some prokart teams as suggested above and see if they have a drive available that way you can work out a budget to suit.

Reactions: LE#99
Although it may be disappointing, I think thats pretty sound advice by all of the others above. Starting out can be very costly due to buying PPM, Karting equipment, tools, transportation etc.

It also easy to waste money on poorly advertised kit if you don't know how to inspect items properly (A bit like buying secondhand car).

Racing at one venue and keeping you kart/equipment there will help with the transportation cost but will also incur rental charges for workshop space.

Realistically, if its Senior and 2 stroke you want, you could probably buy something a few years old for between 1500 and 2000 but you need to beware that it is legal (Compliant) with where you intend to race. Senior Rotax is now split between Evo (Latest) and Non Evo (older stuff) and most venues will only race one or the other.

Don't forget the cost for your PPE. Race suit, gloves, helmet, etc

If you can consider 4 stroke karting then for owners drivers, look for a single or twin engined Pro Kart.

Failing all that if your budget really is fixed at £2000ish, our strong advice is to look at rental karting.
Club 73 - https://www.club73karting.co.uk/ ( club73karting )
Club 100 - https://club100.co.uk/ ( Welcome to Club100 | Club100 Racing )
Buckmore Park - https://www.buckmore.co.uk/adult/championships ( Adult Championships — Buckmore Park Kart Circuit )
or any venue near to you that does a rental Hire kart championship

Last edited:
Reactions: LE#99
i mean how much more money would i need to budget to
A kart that will last a few seasons of light use with say a rotax or Iame X30 engine will cost maybe £2000-3000, the you have to factor getting it to the track and home and for each race meeting

Travel Expenses
Race Entry £50 - £250
Race Fuel & oil - £40-50
Tyres circa £220 for a new set and you'll need a set of wets and wet wheel just in case (for MSA you'll go a new set every race meeting) other championships limit amount of new tyres per season to limit costs
Spark Plugs £10 upwards
Spares kit (Axle, Wheels, Stub Axles, Track rods, Steering column as a minimum I'd suggest) just in case
During the year you'll need engine rebuilds also.

If you rocked up and raced on your own at a race meeting you could probably do an independent meeting such as fulbeck for maybe £350 depending on plugs, tyres etc etc.

Oh and that presuming you have helmet, suit, gloves, boots, rib protector etc

Hope this helps, can always get a kart and engine and go to test days, much cheaper and dont need new rubber etc. Test day at Tattershall is circa £35 adn then it's just transport and fuel.

Reactions: F100
i think i might try race in the gx-uk series.

i think i might try race in the gx-uk series.
Sounds like a good idea, Hondas are much more cost effective to race than 2-strokes.

Reactions: Bezza

Media Partners

(Selected at random)