Technical Help with gillard type 1 brakes - for a novice!

Davidpowell

Community Newbie 🏵️
🏁 Founding Member 🏁
😇 Karting Guardian 😇
📝Registered Member📝
Driver Joined
14/9/20
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
David po
Skill Level
Novice
Young Driver
Figgy
Hi, I have acquired an old gillard 200cc kart with type 1 brakes. They don’t work at all with pedal going to the floor and no pad movement . I have cracked a joint at the master cylinder and it was dry , but a healthy squirt of fluid comes out on depressing pedal , so I am hopeful just need bleeding .... but I can’t see any nice bleed screws and have found no guidance on googling it. Can anyone help with how to bleed type 1 brakes ?? Many thanks ...

Hi, I have acquired an old gillard 200cc kart with type 1 brakes. They don’t work at all with pedal going to the floor and no pad movement . I have cracked a joint at the master cylinder and it was dry , but a healthy squirt of fluid comes out on depressing pedal , so I am hopeful just need bleeding .... but I can’t see any nice bleed screws and have found no guidance on googling it. Can anyone help with how to bleed type 1 brakes ?? Many thanks ...
Pictures from the net show the type 1 caliper has 2 small cap head screws for bleeding. These could be underneath if the caliper is mounted wrong way up.Correct if necessary.
Bleeding the system ideally needs a bleed tower screwed into the filler plug on the master cylinder.
Then take out 1 screw and run brake fluid (dot 4)?
through the system until free of air and replace bleed screw .
Repeat for other side.
The two caliper halves are not connected hydraulically.
Adjustment for pad to disc clearance is by removing shims from between the caliper halves. 1mm per side.
Slacken off the pullrod to the pedal before you start bleeding to ensure the master cylinder is fully returned.

the parts for Gillards can be pretty hard to come by, so take care.

Media Partners

(Selected at random)