General Documenting Cadet Karting - meeting people?

IsaSMai

Community Newbie 🏵️
📝Registered Member📝
Driver Joined
28/2/24
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
Isa
Hi all

I’m a London based photographer looking to produce a series documenting cadet karting in the UK.

In particular, I’m looking to document what I’ve seen described as “Dad Lad” karting, the journey that families go on and the fun as well as the challenges of cadet karting at a decent level in the UK. I’m based in South East London and so Daytona (Surrey) and Buckmore Park are both not far from me.

My question is, any thoughts on the best way to get to know/chat to people who race at these circuits? Are there cadet racing clubs that compete at particular circuits, facebook/reddit groups where parents of junior karting engage with each other, or indeed anyone on here that would be good to chat to?

Thanks very much!
Isa

I would think "Dad and Lad" karting refers to owner-driver karting where the kid is not in a professional team, just supported by their dad as mechanic. So they have their own kart.

Daytona (and Brentwood also near you) do rental karting where you just turn up and use the track's karts. Buckmore Park does both rental and owner-driver (see Medway Valley Kart Club) and it also may be worth checking out Bayford Meadows.

If you want to see a "decent level", contact the tracks and arrange to go and watch when they have a championship race on, and just chat to the parents. This applies to both rentals and owner-driver. In the case of owner driver you may be better off going the day before race day as it's usually a test day and people will have more time to talk.

Re Facebook, most clubs have their own page/group, see also groups "Karting UK", "Bambino and Cadet Karting UK", "Karting Armchair Experts", "Honda Cadet 200 Drivers". There are many other groups.

Good luck!

Thanks very much, really appreciate it and will check out Medway Valley (and try find an equivalent at Daytona)!

So you have Bayford Meadows and buckmore Park. You'll want to go to their MSUK Club weekends for club racing where you will find dad and lad racers.

For higher level drivers you will need to travel further afield, hkrc Bedfordshire and for the highest club levels Whilton Mill just north of Milton Keynes and TVKC near Grantham Lincs for the pinnacle of club meetings.

There is so much difference between daytona and MSUK club racing you can consider it effectively a different sport.

I started dad and lad racing and moved on from there to where I am now.

Media Partners

(Selected at random)