Compkart Covert - First Thoughts As Promised!

Team13Karting

200 RPM
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Driver Joined
13/12/19

Current Class
Senior Rotax
Karting Level
Club
Team
Team 13 Karting
As promised a few weeks ago on here and via the medium of Instagram I promised to give my first thoughts on the Compkart. We've been on an OTK variant since our return back to "2 Stroking" in 2014. One of the main issues that we've found is their fragility and the fact that it doesn't suit my driving style. I've adapted that over the past few years, but having spoken to a few Compkart drivers, their advice was that it was far more conducive to my style of driving.

Our first outing on the Compkart came a week and a half ago at Llandow in South Wales. The forecast had been for dry weather across the week, however some ground moisture during the week hadn't dried thanks to the low temperatures. This meant that our testing would be carried out on a very green track, on a different tyre than we are used to (HG1, as mandated by our Champs this year) and on a new chassis.

Our first few sessions gave a real feel of what the chassis is about. It felt incredibly stable with a positive front end, but released off the corner very well. This is taking into consideration that we were running a more "grippy" setup than we would normally run on an OTK. Another major plus point was the floating brake on the Compkart. Whilst we've never had an issue with the OTK brake, the Compkart/Freeline brake is in another league. I'm no slouch on the anchors but felt confident within laps of braking later into pit bend than I did on the OTK. Still hitting the apex, and on a damp circuit.... We were also putting in decent laptimes too, despite not having been in the seat since September.

Thanks to moisture in the air, the track slowly became more damp as the day went on. With this in mind we put some old wet tyres on that were "not at their best". Despite this, the Compkart was still very positive on the front end, with the rear behaving itself on corner exit. Given that the tyres were old and worn, it was an impressive performance.

Overall we're very confident that a few more sessions on the Compkart will yield more results. That being said, the initial signs are very good. More to come once we've put a few more laps in...

Adam

KartingForum.co.uk Admin
Administrator
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Driver Joined
28/11/19

Name
J Adam Pell
Current Class
Senior Rotax - 177
Karting Level
Club
Team
J. A. Pell & Son Motorsport
Young Driver
Sky
Young Driver Class
Bambino (Soon)
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
Website
View
As promised a few weeks ago on here and via the medium of Instagram I promised to give my first thoughts on the Compkart. We've been on an OTK variant since our return back to "2 Stroking" in 2014. One of the main issues that we've found is their fragility and the fact that it doesn't suit my driving style. I've adapted that over the past few years, but having spoken to a few Compkart drivers, their advice was that it was far more conducive to my style of driving.

Our first outing on the Compkart came a week and a half ago at Llandow in South Wales. The forecast had been for dry weather across the week, however some ground moisture during the week hadn't dried thanks to the low temperatures. This meant that our testing would be carried out on a very green track, on a different tyre than we are used to (HG1, as mandated by our Champs this year) and on a new chassis.

Our first few sessions gave a real feel of what the chassis is about. It felt incredibly stable with a positive front end, but released off the corner very well. This is taking into consideration that we were running a more "grippy" setup than we would normally run on an OTK. Another major plus point was the floating brake on the Compkart. Whilst we've never had an issue with the OTK brake, the Compkart/Freeline brake is in another league. I'm no slouch on the anchors but felt confident within laps of braking later into pit bend than I did on the OTK. Still hitting the apex, and on a damp circuit.... We were also putting in decent laptimes too, despite not having been in the seat since September.

Thanks to moisture in the air, the track slowly became more damp as the day went on. With this in mind we put some old wet tyres on that were "not at their best". Despite this, the Compkart was still very positive on the front end, with the rear behaving itself on corner exit. Given that the tyres were old and worn, it was an impressive performance.

Overall we're very confident that a few more sessions on the Compkart will yield more results. That being said, the initial signs are very good. More to come once we've put a few more laps in...
Nice little write up fella, much appreciate the effort taken! Hopefully more testing will give you consistant results moving forward. All in all, you prefer the Compkart over your previous OTK at this stage? Any features you miss from the OTK?

Get some shiney pics up! :cool: (y)

Team13Karting

200 RPM
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Driver Joined
13/12/19

Current Class
Senior Rotax
Karting Level
Club
Team
Team 13 Karting
Nice little write up fella, much appreciate the effort taken! Hopefully more testing will give you consistant results moving forward. All in all, you prefer the Compkart over your previous OTK at this stage? Any features you miss from the OTK?

Get some shiney pics up! :cool: (y)
Given that we only had a few sessions I think it’s going to be a few more before we can make a direct comparison. That being said, given that we were holding our own against the “locals” on a base setup, it’s a very good starting point. We’ll hopefully have more input in a few weeks..

Top Bottom