Comer c50 Price

• Grab 10% discount or free shipping at MK Racewear for KartingForum.co.uk members. See Trade Promotions!
Welcome Guest!

Join our friendly Karting community and unlock all the benefits of being a member - it's FREE!

Find out more about membership - HERE!

See you trackside...

tehvlb

KartingForum.co.uk
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
28/11/20
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
Martyn
Skill Level
Novice
Class
Bambino
Young Driver
Lucas Jeffrey
Young Driver Class
Bambino
Just to manage some expectations here, be prepared to find out that your engine may not be up to par with some of the better ones.

The Comer c50 is not a racing engine so there are wild variances in performance. There are rumours of top level Bambino engines going for 5 figures...

In terms of an engine, even a new one out of the box needs 10 hours or so, a fiche, possibly selected carb to get the best out of it. Which obviously means added costs for practise, tyres, fuel etc.

Feel free to touch base with any questions as we've had 2 years of Bambino now. We refuse to throw money at it as there are more gains to be had later on in my little one's karting journey...

Hey man, I was interested reading your post as i am just prepping my 4 year old to get into the Bambino level.

Being so new to this i didnt realise there would be differences in engines at this level, are you basically saying that its luck whether or not you get a good performing c50 if bought new? That surprises me as naively i thought each engine would be the same. I know later on in different categories you can pay for better equipment but i thought the whole reason for the restriction on this type of 'pay for success' in the Bambino catagory was to even out the field.

Also, lf engines are being rebuilt after lets say 10 hours couldnt that turn a good c50 into a bad c50?

Forgive my ignorance, i really have zero experience with anything motorsport or mechanical.

Reactions: Adam

Wolemid

KartingForum.co.uk
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
17/12/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Hey man, I was interested reading your post as i am just prepping my 4 year old to get into the Bambino level.

Being so new to this i didnt realise there would be differences in engines at this level, are you basically saying that its luck whether or not you get a good performing c50 if bought new? That surprises me as naively i thought each engine would be the same. I know later on in different categories you can pay for better equipment but i thought the whole reason for the restriction on this type of 'pay for success' in the Bambino catagory was to even out the field.

Also, lf engines are being rebuilt after lets say 10 hours couldnt that turn a good c50 into a bad c50?

Forgive my ignorance, i really have zero experience with anything motorsport or mechanical.
Basically Bambino Engines (c50) are Mass produced Italian Water Pump engines. So there are massive variances between each batch as they arnt designed to run at 11k revs but more like 4K revs.

Reactions: Adam and tehvlb

Team13Karting

KartingForum.co.uk
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
13/12/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Class
Senior Rotax
Team
Team 13 Karting

As has been mentioned below, the engine isn't really meant to be used for racing. To that end there are massive variances between how quick the engines are. The only way you'll find this out is by buying a new engine, running it for 10 hours and then sending it to a rebuilder to get it fiched (i.e. Getting it as close to the legal limits that you can). However, the massive variances elsewhere mean that it doesn't guarantee a quick engine. However, if you've got a good one, it'll generally get quicker the more time you put on it, thanks to the Castor based oil coking up the engine and aiding compression.

However, the variances don't just apply to the engine. There are carburettors, then there are CARBURETTORS. Again, you'll be paying your engine rebuilder here to find you a good one. We paid £150 for one for our little one's kart as it added another 0.3bhp to the motor. Given that they only put out around 3bhp anyway, that's a big gain.

If I had any advice for anyone wanting to do Bambino, I'd say enjoy it and use it as a learning tool to develop your driver. If you want to be competitive at most places, then you'll find it's a good way of emptying your wallet unfortunately. One of our friends was offered over £10k for an engine, that tells you everything you need to know I think....

Reactions: Adam

Adam

Need help? Just ask!
Administrator
Founding Member
Karting Guardian
Registered Driver
Driver Joined
28/11/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
J 'Adam' Pell
Skill Level
Amateur
Class
Senior Rotax 177
Chassis
Tony Kart 401R
Team
J. A. Pell & Son Motorsport
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
Website
View
As has been mentioned below, the engine isn't really meant to be used for racing. To that end there are massive variances between how quick the engines are. The only way you'll find this out is by buying a new engine, running it for 10 hours and then sending it to a rebuilder to get it fiched (i.e. Getting it as close to the legal limits that you can). However, the massive variances elsewhere mean that it doesn't guarantee a quick engine. However, if you've got a good one, it'll generally get quicker the more time you put on it, thanks to the Castor based oil coking up the engine and aiding compression.

However, the variances don't just apply to the engine. There are carburettors, then there are CARBURETTORS. Again, you'll be paying your engine rebuilder here to find you a good one. We paid £150 for one for our little one's kart as it added another 0.3bhp to the motor. Given that they only put out around 3bhp anyway, that's a big gain.

If I had any advice for anyone wanting to do Bambino, I'd say enjoy it and use it as a learning tool to develop your driver. If you want to be competitive at most places, then you'll find it's a good way of emptying your wallet unfortunately. One of our friends was offered over £10k for an engine, that tells you everything you need to know I think....
10K for a Bambino Engine?!!! For any engine...that is just crazy. I would like to add though, don't let that put anybody off. As you say, use it as a learning tool and have fun. Let the crazy people spend their money and smile 😫 (y) There is being competitive to a certain level, then there is more money than sense imo. I'd gladly sell my engine for 10k though....:LOL:🤣

Good on ya helping follow members out as always gents, very much appreciated!

Trade Booth

(Randomly Selected)
Trade Promotions - View
Trade Membership - Learn More

2021 Media Partner

KartMania 2021
KartMania 2021 - Learn More

Drivers Online

Championship Standings

Threads
Registered Drivers
Latest Driver