DG Racing / KRM
Facebook
@Billy Watts
Instagram
@billy.wattss
Photography By
Paul Babington
C2C5B2CF-C268-4C88-B8E4-85D56C9E9AE3.jpeg

Been meaning to do one of these for a while, finally gave into @Adam โ€˜s persuading ๐Ÿ˜‚

Introduction - My first year back in karting for 7 years, racing in the 177 rotax class at BMKR and some on off rounds in the LIKC.

Now that we are 4 rounds into the championship at bayford and currently leading the championship by 57 points; nows a good time to update on my progress throughout the year.

With taking the win at the first round was more then successful for my first race weekend back. But the next 3 rounds would find us fighting setups and mechanical issues with the kart, guess thatโ€™s the issue with second hand parts ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ. Itโ€™s a hard learning curve with it feeling a lot like a full time job at times with all the hours of researching, and looking for parts for a 2013 CRG KT1 then onto the race weekends. But thatโ€™s kart racing. Itโ€™s the part that a lot of successful drivers forget to mention but the experience comes with time.

Hopefully we going to jump ontop of the issues and come back strong for the 5th round in 4 weeks time.

Not the best journal but itโ€™s a start I guess ๐Ÿ˜‚
Few photos from the past 4 months.
AAC5A737-3EB8-424F-ADC1-F616005B02B8.jpeg
1B942A6E-A503-4175-B820-6BEC422A35E2.jpeg
42C904DE-9286-4914-8F78-A9773CA40B5D.jpeg
E30B0F1B-D01C-4011-8F63-8ED6313B8A25.jpeg
74D34C7E-887A-48AE-AADD-3A814FFB3A33.jpeg
497E6D8B-F154-4B88-8058-6B2D2E93CC21.jpeg
FCEDC7C4-7FC0-4C6E-9D62-E7E9892356AE.jpeg
6883CB86-B96E-4F14-B122-8873BB259ED2.jpeg
C7B21739-594A-458D-BF25-E43CB3273C76.jpeg
19909AFD-CF37-4055-8574-EC87DE75FB55.jpeg

Last edited:
RD 7 BMKR
Dominated the whole weekend, best performance of this year ๐Ÿ…

IMG_0177.jpeg

Qualifying

Right out the blocks I was on pace, managing to get tyres up to temperature straight away and setting fastest lap on lap 4. Engine started to get hot as we changed the expansion bottle for the radiator and all fluid has leaked out, temperatures sore and we was unable to set another fast lap due to the issue. However qualified P1 and 4 tenths faster then 2nd.

IMG_0184.jpeg

Heat 1

Starting in P1 we managed to stay ahead for the first corner then build a gap by lap 3. From here it was just a true management game to ensure tyres would have as much grip available for the final. Maybe to much tyre control as 2nd and 3rd managed to catch and go for a move on the last lap, but was able to hold them off to finish in 1st.
IMG_0180.jpeg

Heat 2

Same as heat 1. Starting P1 managed to stay ahead after the 1st corner and build a gap. No major dramas and just focused on staying on the black stuff and holding my position ready for the final.

IMG_0179.jpeg

FINAL

Holding my position on the opening lap, a quick look behind to see that my rivals had found there pace and was sitting on my rear bumper. A soft brake pedal started to hinder my pace as I had no confidence coming into the corners. 2nd place man was there the entire 10 minutes + 1 lap of the final. Having a few looks up the inside, but my defensive drive was enough to come across the line P1 and just 2 tenths in-front of the 2nd place kart.

IMG_0186.jpeg

Summary

My best performance this year, taking the full 100 points for the championship and not dropping lower then 1st the whole day is a massive achievement. The whole field is starting to get faster and competition getting tighter. Looking forward to the final 2 rounds here at Bayford Medows and hopefully bring the championship with it.

A MASSIVE thank you to Dave at DG Power for the beauty of an engine, my dad Jason for โ€˜managingโ€™ (as he would say) all weekend, and Ken and Rick at KRM for the awning space and helping with set ups.

Also a well done to all the 177 seniors at BMKR for the safe, competitive and close racing all weekend. ๐Ÿ

IMG_0155.jpeg

Reactions: Gibby and Adam
Well done ๐Ÿ‘

Reactions: Keys and Adam
Just an epic drive Billy, well done mate. A long time coming and for sure well deserved ๐Ÿ˜

You lads every meetings are getting faster and faster. I'm eating air and dust for the next month ffs to try and drop some more timber. ๐Ÿคฃ

Reactions: Greedy and Keys
RD 8 BMKR
Weekend of struggles but success in the end ! ๐Ÿ
1637683758774.png

Qualifying
With some unfamiliar talent new to the grid for this round it was anyoneโ€™s guess to who would take top spot. A strong showing of pace all over the grid, we managed a P3 to line up on the inside of the second row for the first heat.
1637683776683.png

Heat 1
First lap saw multiple changes for the lead, a 5 way fight lasted nearly two laps until a mistake from the driver in-front ended up seeing me the wrong way round trying to avoid the contact at the last corner of the second lap. Got the kart going again but was dead last and the grid had made a missive gap by the time I sorted everything out. We managed to claw back up to 4th at the end of the 8 minutes plus 1 lap race, but a drop bumper would demote me to 7th for the start of heat 2.
1637683795818.png

Heat 2
Getting ready for the race ahead, we pulled out of the dummy grid and kart started violently vibrating. By the time I stopped the kart at the end of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th corner complex, the axle had completely snapped in half and we was unable to start the race. This DNS would put us dead last in the final. A massive thank you to my Dad, Jason Watts and all the mechanics at KRM (Ricky Micallef, Ken Reeves and Darren Haines) for helping me change the rear axle in just 20 minutes so I was able to participate in the final race of the day.
1637683815653.png

FINAL
Starting dead last on the grid, we really had our work cut out to try and salvage what was a pretty terrible day. With 2 warm up laps to get the tyres warmed due to the bitter weather, we was able to put as much heat through the tyres as possible. A messy start from a kart further up the grid would see us gain 3 positions on the opening lap. I was able to cut my way through the field and was into P3 by the end of lap 5. With a big gap the the front two karts of Michael Gibbons and Micheal Ashby already formed, a good few laps of decent times and no mistakes was needed from my behalf. The front two started to battle early on, which enabled me to close the gap even faster. A move on Ashby at the 2nd hairpin saw me move into 2nd place, and then the chase was on for my championship rival Gibbons in 1st place. Closing the gap in just over two laps put me hot on the tail of kart 44 coming into the final corner with 4 minutes plus 1 lap left to go. Approaching the first corner I saw the lead kart look behind, I went left, they moved to cover the gap, I then cut right and lunged up the inside to take the lead. A hard defence drive was then made to keep the karts behind at bay. We came across the line in P1 to win the final from the back with fastest lap along the way !!
1637683872822.png

Summary
Now with 1 round left to go, even though a win was taken in the final I am now 5 points behind coming into the last round next month. A good,consistent, high points finishes is needed now to win this next month.
I cannot thank everyone enough who helps me out to do all of the things I do in and out of the kart. A big big thank you to Dave at DG power for supplying the best engines on the grid and giving me all the power I need to take the top spot finishes. All the team at KRM for the support in the awning all throughout the weekend. Itโ€™s a pleasure to work with all of you. My Dad for always taking the time for race weekends and being my right hand man in all of this. And a big thank you to my girlfriend Brooke for putting up with all the hours spent at tracks, support on race days and fuel for this weekend. Also a massive thank you to Paul Babington for the excellent photos from the race weekend.
Onwards to the last round next month, ready for the head to head battle and bringing the championship home ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ

Last edited:
RD 8 BMKR
View attachment 1721
Qualifying
With some unfamiliar talent new to the grid for this round it was anyoneโ€™s guess to who would take top spot. A strong showing of pace all over the grid, we managed a P3 to line up on the inside of the second row for the first heat.
View attachment 1722
Heat 1
First lap saw multiple changes for the lead, a 5 way fight lasted nearly two laps until a mistake from the driver in-front ended up seeing me the wrong way round trying to avoid the contact at the last corner of the second lap. Got the kart going again but was dead last and the grid had made a missive gap by the time I sorted everything out. We managed to claw back up to 4th at the end of the 8 minutes plus 1 lap race, but a drop bumper would demote me to 7th for the start of heat 2.
View attachment 1723
Heat 2
Getting ready for the race ahead, we pulled out of the dummy grid and kart started violently vibrating. By the time I stopped the kart at the end of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th corner complex, the axle had completely snapped in half and we was unable to start the race. This DNS would put us dead last in the final. A massive thank you to my Dad, Jason Watts and all the mechanics at KRM (Ricky Micallef, Ken Reeves and Darren Haines) for helping me change the rear axle in just 20 minutes so I was able to participate in the final race of the day.
View attachment 1724
FINAL
Starting dead last on the grid, we really had our work cut out to try and salvage what was a pretty terrible day. With 2 warm up laps to get the tyres warmed due to the bitter weather, we was able to put as much heat through the tyres as possible. A messy start from a kart further up the grid would see us gain 3 positions on the opening lap. I was able to cut my way through the field and was into P3 by the end of lap 5. With a big gap the the front two karts of Michael Gibbons and Micheal Ashby already formed, a good few laps of decent times and no mistakes was needed from my behalf. The front two started to battle early on, which enabled me to close the gap even faster. A move on Ashby at the 2nd hairpin saw me move into 2nd place, and then the chase was on for my championship rival Gibbons in 1st place. Closing the gap in just over two laps put me hot on the tail of kart 44 coming into the final corner with 4 minutes plus 1 lap left to go. Approaching the first corner I saw the lead kart look behind, I went left, they moved to cover the gap, I then cut right and lunged up the inside to take the lead. A hard defence drive was then made to keep the karts behind at bay. We came across the line in P1 to win the final from the back with fastest lap along the way !!
View attachment 1725
Summary
Now with 1 round left to go, even though a win was taken in the final I am now 5 points behind coming into the last round next month. A good,consistent, high points finishes is needed now to win this next month.
I cannot thank everyone enough who helps me out to do all of the things I do in and out of the kart. A big big thank you to Dave at DG power for supplying the best engines on the grid and giving me all the power I need to take the top spot finishes. All the team at KRM for the support in the awning all throughout the weekend. Itโ€™s a pleasure to work with all of you. My Dad for always taking the time for race weekends and being my right hand man in all of this. And a big thank you to my girlfriend Brooke for putting up with all the hours spent at tracks, support on race days and fuel for this weekend. Also a massive thank you to Paul Babington for the excellent photos from the race weekend.
Onwards to the last round next month, ready for the head to head battle and bringing the championship home ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ
That final race was one of the best races I have ever seen !!!!
Great great drive Billy.
Keep on keeping on ๐Ÿ

Reactions: Adam and Billywatts
Reactions: Adam
RD 8 BMKR
View attachment 1721
Qualifying
View attachment 1722
Heat 1
View attachment 1723
Heat 2
View attachment 1724
FINAL
View attachment 1725
Summary
Impressive performance ๐Ÿ‘

Reactions: Adam
  • Haha
Reactions: Billywatts
Is that jam from a donut or blood on your jumper @Billywatts ?

A bit Keith Lemon with the hand bandage....

View attachment 1733

Epic drive mate....you don't get much of a comeback drive than that gents. Well done and well deserved! ๐Ÿ’ช I wish I was watching rather than driving sometimes!
Didnโ€™t want to ruin my gloves after putting a screw driver through my hand changing my axle ๐Ÿ˜‚
But thank you mate ๐Ÿค

• Haha
Reactions: Greedy and Adam
Didnโ€™t want to ruin my gloves after putting a screw driver through my hand changing my axle ๐Ÿ˜‚
But thank you mate ๐Ÿค
Ohhhh so YOU did stab yourself?!? ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Mate that's your 2nd self inflicted tool injury this year, I reckon you should just stick to the driving and stay away from the dangerous stuff in the pits.

๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Š

Reactions: Greedy

Media Partners

(Selected at random)

Latest Trade Promotions