General Amateur Karting Groups - Supply and Demand

• FREE KartingForum.co.uk Stickers! More info HERE!
    • 10% OFF or FREE shipping at MK Racewear for KartingForum.co.uk Members. See Trade Promotions HERE!
Welcome Guest!

Join our friendly Karting community and unlock all the benefits of being a Member - it's FREE!

Is it easy and affordable for amateur racers to join casual racing events with like minded people?

• Yes

• No

• Depends (please elaborate)

Results are only viewable after voting.

scottmurrell123

Community Newbie ๐Ÿต๏ธ
๐Ÿ Founding Member ๐Ÿ
๐Ÿ“Registered Member๐Ÿ“
Driver Joined
5/12/21
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
Scott
Hi All,

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I was hoping to get some responses to the question below which my friend raised to me recently.

'In the UK Karting scene, is it easy and affordable for amateur racers (little to no experience) to join casual racing events with like minded people?'

For context, I have raced in a group of around 20 friends where we book an event (e.g. a 45 min qualy/race combo) and all of those you can attend would confirm their availability in order to meet track number thresholds. However, if you are in a group of say below 5 or 6 and want to do casual hire-kart race sessions rather than time trials or competitive open races I believe it is harder for the beginners to get this experience. Some of the open races offered by tracks can a) be expensive compared to the individual price of a track hire session and b) be daunting to new karters as the races often contain a number of highly skilled individuals.

What do you think? Is there a gap in the market which could be filled?

Thanks,

Scott

Reactions: Adam

Adam

Community Legend ๐Ÿ†
โš™๏ธ Administrator โš™๏ธ
Driver Joined
28/11/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
James 'Adam' Pell
Skill Level
Amateur
Class
Senior Rotax 177
Engine
Grice Racing Engines
Chassis
Tony Kart 401R
Team
J. A. Pell & Son Motorsport
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
Website
View
Hey Scott thanks for getting involved in the forum!

Well I have chosen "depends". As in all honesty I think it all depends on how serious you want to be. I mean most tracks do general arrive and drive sessions. Then to step up from there they usually do their own arrive and drive club meetings for the same kind of value. Then from there you can progress to something like Club 100 and then onto owner driver stuff.

See above Bayford's Junior Club racing. Arrive and drive with a structured championship with races once a month. ยฃ70pp per day I think for both races and practise days with coaching which is great! So you don't have to race against the more experience entries if you don't want to, you can just do the practise days with coaching.

Which imo is great value for money to get you started in the word of karting! I mean it will cost us ยฃ75 for a race day and we have all our own kit!

I'm sure there are many other clubs that do the same sort of thing too. I just Bayford as an example as it's my local club we attend.

GPchris98

Community Rookie ๐ŸŽ–๏ธ๐ŸŽ–๏ธ
๐Ÿ˜‡ Karting Guardian ๐Ÿ˜‡
Driver Joined
7/8/21
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
Chris Tomsett
Skill Level
Experienced
Class
Senior rotax
Engine
GMS MOTORSPORT
Chassis
Tonykart
Team
GMS Motorsport
Young Driver
James Tomsett
Young Driver Class
Senior rotax
Facebook
View
I think corporate racing is very easy and affordable at any level..most tracks run corporate club championships.
I'd personally recommend getting your racing licence not because it's needed but because it will teach the basic safety requirements I.e flags general rules which will make for better days at the track.

Reactions: Adam

Adam

Community Legend ๐Ÿ†
โš™๏ธ Administrator โš™๏ธ
Driver Joined
28/11/19
Reaction Score
Trophies Awarded
Name
James 'Adam' Pell
Skill Level
Amateur
Class
Senior Rotax 177
Engine
Grice Racing Engines
Chassis
Tony Kart 401R
Team
J. A. Pell & Son Motorsport
Facebook
View
Instagram
View
Website
View
I think corporate racing is very easy and affordable at any level..most tracks run corporate club championships.
I'd personally recommend getting your racing licence not because it's needed but because it will teach the basic safety requirements I.e flags general rules which will make for better days at the track.
Good shout to be honest. Not sure if clubs actually push that enough via the corporate side of things? Could be a good way to push people to educate themselves and progress in the sport. Getting a race license is a bit daunting for some people I'm sure.

Reactions: GPchris98

Partners & Trade Booth

2022 Partners
Trade Members
(Randomly Selected)
Trade Membership - Learn More