Theo Hamilton
Skill Level
Novice
Young Driver
Theo Hamilton
Young Driver Class
Bambino
Hi All,

my son (7) is new to the sport only being with his club since April 4th this year, but has shown great promise already. We are booked to attend the rookie racing weekend at the end of May and have the all inclusive hire package. Our current thoughts were to pay for the all inclusive hire packages (kart, mechanic etc) rather than buy a kart, maintain it, transport it etc, it just seemed more economical? Are we right in thinking this? The more research I do it seems people prefer to own?
many thanks,
Charlotte

Reactions: Adam
Hi Charlotte thanks for joining us at KartingForum.co.uk!

Well in all honesty it all depends on your position in many ways. Ultimately going for a fully managed hire package will for sure be the most expensive in the long run. However you would have no big inital outlay of buying the Kart, transport, tools, equipment etc etc. Not to mention you are paying for the experience for somebody to set the Kart up correctly and make sure you guys have a safe and fun day. And of course coach Theo and progress with his ability both on and off the track.

Most people prefer to own so they can do their own thing. Learning their way around the sport and also to maintain and run their own outfit is very rewarding. Don't be put off going alone, the sport is very friendly and a quick walk around the pits chatting and asking questions will give you plenty of help and confidence to progress forwards at your own pace.

My advice would be go with the managed hire package as a starter. You are paying for a safe and experienced entry into the sport. Then if Theo likes it and you really want to get into it, explore your options. There is nothing wrong with staying with the hired package or going alone. Many people choose either option!

You can also explore options for storage if you did decide to go alone. Many tracks offer storage solutions which solves the issue with transporting the Kart etc.

There is no right or wrong. Choose what suits and have some fun!

To gain more information you might find it handy to have a chat with @MattShawyer

Thanks so much for your advice!! Definitely lots of points to consider and things I hadnโ€™t even thought about in regards to owning a kart. Definitely need to do lots more research as Theo progresses. :)

No worries at all! Helping out and getting more people into the sport is what this place is all about.

If you need anymore help in anyway, there are loads of lads and ladies on here who will help out.

:giggle:(y)

Adam

Hi Charlotte

Speak to Alan Hoyle, he helps out at Rookie some times but I can guarantee he will look after you and be able to provide whatever requirement you have; be that coaching, full kart prep and maintenance or the full package where you just turn up put a lid on and race.

If you have any questions jut drop me a line.

ps, I can give you Alan's contact details if needed.

Having said that, he is more than willing to just offer advice on starting and what he would think would be the most appropriate way to go forward as there's loads of options. If Theo is 7 I wouldnt bother with Bambinos, get him in a honda cadet and get seat time, then maybe do a coupl eof IKR races and when he turns 8 he will be well on the way to getting up to speed.

Bambinos will just add more cost and make no difference when he moves up

Media Partners

(Selected at random)